Wikipedia Trail from "Animal Sacrifice in Hinduism" to "Brigitte Bardot"
(Gadhimai Temple in Naple, posted on Wikipedia)
I was interested in this article after writing about animal sacrifice in one of my stories. I did not know that Hinduism practiced animal sacrifices before writing that story. Most Hindus do not practice animal sacrifices except for the Shakti tribe, which mostly sacrificed chickens, goats, pigeons, etc.
I picked this link since it was discussing one of Shakti's three-day-long festivals. It sounded very interesting. This festival includes a large-scale sacrificial slaughter of water buffalo, pigs, goats, chickens, etc. This festival is a gift to the Devi Gadhimai in order to "end evil and bring prosperity".
I clicked on this link because when I hovered over the hyperlink the picture of the temple looked so pretty. Something interesting about the temple is that in the past the Gadhimai Festival was held there every five years. After a bunch of protests from animal rights groups, the temple canceled the festival. They previously had been sacrificing about 300,000 - 500,000 animals during a three-day period.
This woman was one of the animal rights activists that were outspoken about the Gadhimai festival. I clicked on her name because she sounded familiar, and later remembered I wrote a report about her in high school. She is a french animal rights activist and former actress and singer. An interesting fact about her is she was one of the biggest sex symbols of the 1950s according to Wikipedia.



Comments
Post a Comment